Thursday, November 8, 2012

America the Semi-Beautiful?

I had such high hopes for America.  But, over the past several years, my hopes have turned into disappointment.  I'm beginning to doubt that America will ever grow to her full potential, and I wonder if I should hold on to my dreams, or just give up on her.

America

This is climbing America.  I love her bloom.  I love that her leaves have a bronze hue before they turn green.  I know that she can take my breath away with her beauty.

But as pretty as she is, in my garden, she's only America, the semi-beautiful.


She's quite lovely - in autumn.  And spring.  But in summer, she hates our weather.  She is never truly happy, and I'm not truly happy with her.  She grows in zones 4 through 9, so heat shouldn't be the problem.  But water (or the lack of it in summer) could be.  She grows from 10 to 15 feet high.  Mine is no where near that tall!  So, I'll just have to be patient and see what the future holds.  I'm hoping in time she'll grow into the thriving America I expect her to be.

New foliage is such a pretty color

The problem, really, is not with the rose.  It's with my expectations.  You see, I want the song 'America the Beautiful' to pop into my mind every time I see her, even in summer.  She has such a patriotic name, I want to be proud of her.  I want to show her off, and state her name proudly.  If she had a different name, I might feel differently about her.  But in my mind, a rose named for America should be great every day of the year.

Bush shot

Roses are interesting plants to grow.  Some will perform beautifully in your garden, some won't.  The problem may be that particular plant, that particular rose, your area, your garden, your soil, or - like America and me - even your expectations.

Tell me, do you grow this rose?  And if so, is your America beautiful?





25 comments:

  1. I think it is lovely. I have great expectations sometimes when I see a rose from another gardeners garden. When I get it into mine it may not even look remotely or do half as well. Like you I cannot just get rid of them so I move them to a place in the garden where they are not so prominently on display but where I can see and still enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find a remote space for some of my roses! :) Usually, they perform well or not at all. Perhaps America will either get better - or worse, and then the decision will be easier!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait until next season. This year I planted hedges of knock outs that I love and are so pretty...but I like cutting roses...my fav is the Peace rose. I love to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Peace is my most photogenic rose. Every time she blooms, I run to get the camera. I've loved her beautiful coloring since I was young, long before I ever had a garden. Good luck with your knock outs. Planted in a hedge, they will be stunning when they bloom!

      Delete
  3. I really like this Rose. The color is a standout on it.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holley, the same lost expectation was with one rose I purchased in a supermarket. It have to be park red rose, blooming all the season. In reality the rose was climbing, with very rare buds blooming once per summer.
    This summer I said her if she grow the same way I will replant it near a fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not funny, because I understand completely - I have purchased mislabeled roses before, too. I hope your rose starts repeating - it will save you a lot of work!

      Delete
  5. No, but I did give my neighbour a rose called South Africa. And today I admired it in her garden as we drove home. If I were still looking for a new yellow rose, I'd be Proudly South African ;~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful! I love that we have roses named for the countries we love. I hope you get to put South Africa in your future garden.

      Delete
  6. I have an idea---how about the peony 'America', quite beautiful and easy to grow, really stands out from my other peonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a wonderful idea, and I would definitely do it, if peonies grew here. It's just too hot, with not enough winter chill. :( I hate it, too, because I absolutely adore peony blooms! If they grew here, they would be another obsession of mine!

      Delete
  7. O gosh... I only grow roses, but never know their true name! When I read your title, I thought you are going to talk about America's election or something different.. Nice story! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few roses that I don't know the names of, but I try very hard to remember the names I do know. It helps me, even years later, to look up information on them if I think they're not performing well. Maybe one day they'll all bloom beautifully, and I won't have to remember their names, either!

      Delete
  8. Cute post! You had me worried there for a minute. I wonder if that Rose would like my garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way to find out is to give it a try! :)

      Delete
  9. Roses are really something. When you are unhappy with the performance of a rose, you have two choices, be complacent and just live with its mediocrity, or take it out and get something that will really bloom beautifully. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well put, Jayne! You are absolutely correct.

      Delete
  10. I have a climbing America in my garden too, and I agree with you. It is a little wimpy! But, I do love the color though. I think I will give it one more year to prove itself! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a climbing America in my garden too, and I agree with you. It is a little wimpy! But, I do love the color though. I think I will give it one more year to prove itself! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wimpy described is well. But like you, I love the color. I'm going to leave mine in for a while longer, too, although I doubt she'll ever get used to our summers.

      Delete
  12. Holley I have a love hate with many of my roses. Some years they are amazing and others sub par but always a crap shoot here. I do love them though and keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are more consistent, at least after they mature a few years. The ones that don't consistently do well for me I have started thinking about removing so my garden will look better. But it's a hard thing for me to do.

      Delete
  13. Oh how gorgeous your roses are!!!!! I agree with HolleyGarden! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...