Thursday, May 5, 2011

Garden Tour #4 - Quite Relaxing!

This is number four in our series of the Smith County Master Gardeners tour.  This tour is of the Goforth garden.

The home was built in 1932 and the original owner lined the garden with bricks.  The result makes for a simple yet beautiful, relaxing, and lovely garden area.  The current owner restored this garden to its original timeless splendor.  As the brochure put it, "the original hardscape was covered up with the ravages of time and tangled vines."  A simple garden, but I'm certain getting it that way was hard work.  Enjoy!

The bricks give interest to the lawn, as well as the planting beds.  I loved that it was done with curves, instead of straight lines.  A great mowing strip as well!

Certain areas have focal points - again, done in brick.  I overheard people wondering if they could do this in their yard.  I think that's when you know you have a successful garden - when you inspire others.

Some areas of the brick work are large enough for seating.

The brick unifies the garden, and subconsciously ties everything together.

Even the front is tied together with the brick.  Loved this simple focal point!

A simply designed garden, yes.  And more than meets the eye.  You see, the brick has special meaning.

At one time almost all of Tyler's streets were made of brick.  Most of these quaint brick streets were slowly asphalted over.  But there is still a 'Brick Street District' - one of the largest areas of brick streets in Texas (29 blocks - about 14 miles).  This hand-crafted brick-lined garden is a tribute to a time long ago, a nod to tradition and community heritage.

Here'a a little video about Tyler's brick streets:
brick street video (1 min. long)

I hope you enjoyed the tour!  Stay tuned!  The next garden may surprise you!

And if you are just now joining us, we have toured the Kindig garden HERE, the Holey garden HERE and the Diedrick garden HERE.

15 comments:

  1. This garden is lovely with some old world charm. I like the way the bricks define the garden spaces and contrast with the lawn. I also like the features and agree with your comment regarding knowing when a garden is successful - when others want to mimic it in their own spaces. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful. I love all of the bricks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brick and had my front walk and patio made from brick not pavers...I also love curves...you won't find too many straight lines in my garden...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly - I would love to mimic the brick as a mowing strip in my own garden. Not sure I'd want to mimic the amount of work it would take though!

    Darla - Brick are so classic, they are a great addition to any garden.

    Donna - I once put in a little patio and used brick - didn't realize at that time that I could have used pavers and it would have been a lot easier! I did think the curves brought a lot of interest that would have been lost with just straight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. We don't use brick as much here - mostly wood and stone. Flowers look lovely with brick, but I think one would have to be careful with colors :). Thank you for this gorgeous tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your brick street tour. I keep hearing about Tyler Texas everywhere I go. One of these days I will stop by there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great series! Thanks for the tour. This garden is so welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Masha - I guess it's traditional to use what is available. The red clay we have for soil was easily made into brick, so I think that's why it's so prevalent here.

    Jeannie - I hope you do! There's quite a lot to see, especially for us interested in gardening.

    PlantPostings - I think it's a very livable garden. Something that really adds to the value of the property. I'm glad you're enjoying the series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful brickwork. The quality of workmanship should last for many generations. Hopefully the home and garden will continue to be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am enjoying your blog so much! The master gardeners tour has been terrific! Each garden has so much to admire. Edging garden borders with brick paths is a great idea. Thanks for the feature on Tyler's red brick streets. The college my oldest son attended has brick roads throughout the campus, and I always thought they were fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love garden tours! Fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful garden; the way they placed the bricks is so graceful. I watched the video on Tyler's brick streets, too, and was amazed after all these years they are still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The garden tours have been enjoyable to view on your blog. There's something interesting about the brickwork in this one, I like it! Thanks for sharing, Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love garden tours. You learn so much. Our rose Society tours rose gardens in the summer months, it's always great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tufa Girl - Yes, it's sad when a garden goes into decline. It's nice that these new owners saw the beauty of the original brickwork and decided to keep it.

    debsgarden - I am old enough :) to remember most of Tyler's street being brick, before they started asphalting over most of them. I'm glad they retained a portion of them. They can be a bit dangerous when wet, but otherwise they are extremely charming.

    Kelsey - I really enjoyed this tour, and I've enjoyed going back and looking at pictures. It helps generate ideas for my own garden.

    Karen - It was probably a lot more work, but the curves were a nice addition. It would not have been as charming (IMHO) if the beds were just straight. It is amazing that the brick streets have not crumbled!

    Kelli - I could not imagine laying all this brick by hand. But it does give a certain 'feel' to the garden that would be completely different if it were replaced with stone, or timbers, etc. It works perfectly for this area.

    Redneck Rosarian - I agree. I did learn a lot from these tours. It was great to see all the different personalities of each garden. Really gave you a sense of the owner and the property.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...