Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Power of Enthusiastic Desire

I just love my lotus plant.  The large leaves.  The exquisite bloom.  The pods that stay after the petals fall off.  I love it in every stage.


It blooms in the summer.  I always wish it would bloom in the spring, but summer is its season.  It bloomed yesterday for the first time this year.  Which is a couple of weeks earlier than it bloomed last year.  I don't know if we're early this year from all the heat and drought, or we were behind last year from all the cold and rain - either way, I was thrilled to see it blooming!


Not knowing much about lotus plants, I wasn't sure if I could keep it alive, but it has thrived in the years I've owned it.  I put a fertilizer pellet made especially for water plants in its pot each spring, and miraculously, it blooms without fail.


Other lotus plants that I've purchased through the mail have bloomed the first year, but didn't return.  This lotus is better than pretty.  It's dependable!


I found this lotus several years ago at a retail establishment specializing in garden decor.  I didn't buy any arbors, benches, or gazing balls that day.  I was in love with the lotus.  Although not technically for sale, the owner sweetly sold it to me.  Never underestimate the power of enthusiastic desire!

19 comments:

  1. Stunningly beautiful! I have wanted a lotus forever...Maybe this year I will finally buy one for my parents' yard, even though they are quite pricey up here in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lotus is gorgeous and looks great in your images. I never tried growing them, but also never mailed for them. Pond stores have them, but not so many ponds in our area could support them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really pretty, and so many blooms! It sure looks happy to be in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. I am certain the garden center knew the lotus was going to an excellent home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, heh...I can just pictures your persuasive words to buy it! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty... And there's something very romantic and exotic about the lotus, just from its connections to the Eastern fairytales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! The lotus must like whatever you're doing to care for it because it looks great. What a beautiful bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. College Gardener - They were not so expensive online. I don't know why it died. Maybe you would have better luck.

    GWGT - I would worry more about overwintering it. I don't know if you would have to take it out of the pond for winter. I do nothing to mine as it never gets that cold here.

    Masha - I was surprised to see so many blooms all at once, too. I hope it continues blooming like that all summer.

    Tufa Girl - I should go back and show them photos. They might decide to retail these!

    Hanni - They didn't want to see a grown woman cry, I suppose! :)

    Soren - I agree. Romantic and a bit exotic. I would love to see them in their natural habitat.

    Bumble Lush - I think part of it is my husband's filtering system. Now I can't imagine the pond without it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holley, I can see why you coveted this plant--absolutely glorious. I don't have a water garden, but I would love one. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice of that garden art store owner. It's a lovely flower. I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so pristine, HolleyGarden. And what a grand pond you have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carolyn - I think everyone should have some sort of water feature, even if it's not a pond. It's so relaxing, and I love to feed the fish.

    Grace - It was nice of her, wasn't it? I hope you get one!

    Sherry - Thank you so much for the compliment on the pond! I built most of it, with just a little help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holley, that lotus is exquisite, love it! And I do love your water feature which you know I'm partial to :) (Every garden must have a water feature I think).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mark and Gaz - I think every garden should have a water feature, too. When you get finished with yours, it will be spectacular!

    Kelli - They really are quite nice, aren't they? And the pods that remain after the petals fall off are interesting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when plants have stories. I suppose the opposite is passive desire - too afraid to ask ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. b-a-g - Passive desire - I hadn't thought of that! Next time I'm too afraid to ask, I'll try to remember to be a bit more enthusiastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are gorgeous! I have to ask, do they form those very very cool seedpods in the fall? I think I like those even more than the flowers. And do they smell good?

    ReplyDelete
  18. tina - yes, those seedpods are in the middle of each bloom. When the petals fall off, the seedpods are revealed, staying up on the stem. I should cut them off and dry them. Perhaps I'll do that this year. As pretty as they look, I couldn't discern any scent.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...