Friday, January 14, 2011

Bird Sightings



"My favorite weather is bird-chirping weather."
 - Loire Hartwould


It has always impressed and amazed me when I see a large flock of Blackbirds.  They move as water - in one fluid motion, the ebb and flow of 1,000 birds on invisible tides of air.  I saw a flock of several hundred this morning.  The sound is mesmerizing.  Individual chirps join together to become one chorus of song. It is truly one of life's humbling sights.

Blue jays and Cardinals have also been frequenting the garden.  They are a joy to watch with their brilliant colors sparkling in the sun.

We have a Purple Martin house.  I don't think I've ever seen a Purple Martin around here.

The most exciting and surprising bird sighting has to be of the Bald Eagle.  Never seen when I was a child, they are making a delightful comeback.  So much so that we see them now every winter.  Not here, but close by, near a large lake.  It is almost a shock to see that large bird.  I never expect it, and am thrilled each time I see our national emblem.

"You have to believe in happiness,
  Or happiness never comes...
  Ah, that's the reason a bird can sing - 
  On his darkest day he believes in Spring."
 - Douglas Malloch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...